Situation: Encouraging other Christians toward generosity.
Dairya from Nigeria wrote us a great question: “What are some biblical references I could share with someone or group of people who might not be readily open or receptive to giving to encourage them to start giving?”
Scripture: Hundreds of verses
Level 1: Five Important Passages
We recently analyzed ten different small group Bible studies about generosity. Here are the passages that they mention most often (in order of number of mentions):
- 2 Corinthians 8 and 9: Paul’s encouragement to give (mentioned in 7 studies)
- 1 Timothy 6:17-19: Paul’s instructions to Timothy on what to tell the rich (6 studies)
- Matthew 25:14-30: Parable of the Talents (4 studies)
- 1 Timothy 6:6-10: Be content (4 studies)
- Acts 2:42-47: The early church gives away to meet needs (3 studies)
- Passages mentioned twice: Genesis 1:26-31, Proverbs 21:5, Matthew 6:19-21, Luke 12:15, John 13:34-35, Acts 4:32-35, Hebrews 13:5.
Level 2: Forty Passages
Our friends at Generous Giving designed a great exercise in which givers review 40 relevant verses and choose 2-5 that best express their hopes, dreams, and desires. Find that exercise here.
Let’s not just be hearers of the Word, but doers. Commit to obey whatever you find in studying Scripture.
Level 3: ALL the Passages
Finally, for you overachievers, our friends at Crown Financial list all 2350 verses they found about money. Find that exhaustive–and exhausting–list here.
Steps: Read and memorize
- Let’s not just be hearers of the Word, but doers. Commit to obey whatever you find in studying Scripture. (James 1:22)
- Read through the five passages, or the 40 passages.
- Memorize three passages.
- Ask the Holy Spirit to show you which one passage should define your life as a generous giver.
To bring more joy to your giving, each post at joygiving.org takes a giver’s question (Situation), offers biblical guidance (Scripture), and, based on our thousands of interactions with Christian givers around the world, offers action items (Steps).